Found in parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Madagascar, and a wide array of islands, tortoises are explicitly land dwelling turtles. Tortoises use their large, spacious shells as a defense mechanism, and can withdraw all their limbs inside of it when threatened.
- History: Tortoises have been around for millions of years - In fact, the oldest tortoise fossils date back to the Eocene Period, which was 34 to 56 million years ago. Unfortunately, many tortoise species are either threatened, vulnerable, or endangered, primarily due to human activity. More specifically, tortoises are suffering from either a loss, degradation, or fragmentation of their natural habitat.
- Scientific Name: Family Testudinidae
- Characteristics: Accurately modeled and meticulously hand painted, this tortoise figurine exhibits the large domed shell and long limbs that are characteristic of many tortoise species. A great gift for nature enthusiasts, this model is beautifully crafted and scientifically accurate!
- Size and Color: 8.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide, this figurine is a little wider than a credit card and about as long as a legal sized piece of paper. Depending on the species and the region they inhabit, tortoise coloring can range from dark gray and brown to bright yellow and green.
- The Tortoise is part of the Incredible Creatures® collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
- Note: Hollow toys may float, but are not watertight.