Like many mammals, black bear cubs rely on their mother’s for protection early on in their infancy and stay with them for nearly 2 years before heading out on their own. However, don’t mistake them as being completely helpless – these cubs can climb trees to avoid predators!
- History: Despite the size of fully matured black bears, their cubs are rarely larger than a pound at birth. Black bear cubs are typically blind for up to 4 weeks, and can begin walking at 5 weeks. Until they’re about a year and a half old, cubs rely on their mothers for everything, including food, protection, transportation, and warmth. In fact, motherhood for a black bear is so demanding that they typically lose a third of their bodyweight caring for their young during the winter months.
- Scientific Name: Ursus americanus
- Characteristics: Expertly sculpted with life-like realism, this black bear cub toy model makes an excellent gift for a nature enthusiast or collector, an addition to a diorama, or a toy for engaging and educational play. Be careful – this little one’s mother may come looking for it!
- Size: Only 3 inches long and 1.6 inches tall, this little black bear cub toy is a touch shorter than a deck of cards on its side, and certainly has some growing to do!
- The Black Bear Cub is part of the Wild Safari® North American Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.