Also known as the tiger owl and the hoot owl, the great horned owl is a rather large member of the Bubo genus found throughout north and south America. In fact, the great horned owl has such a large population that it’s believed to be the most widely distributed owl in the Americas.
- History: The great horned owl was and is an important symbol in many north and south American cultures. Some native American tribes revered them and depicted them as symbols of strength and courage, while others believed them to be spirits of slain warriors. Members of the Zuni tribe even carried feathers of the great horned owl in their mouths while hunting or fighting, hoping to inherent the owl’s stealth.
- Scientific Name: Bubo virginianus
- Characteristics: The name hoot owl actually comes from the distinctive and famous hooting sound the great horned owl makes. Learn more interesting facts about the great horned owl with this scientifically accurate and realistic great horned owl toy model!
- Size: Measuring 5.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall, this great horned owl toy is roughly the size of a soda can on its side.
- The Great Horned Owl is part of the Wings of the World Birds collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free